Artistic impressions gaming mats

Like the rest of the world, I've been trying to get my hands on a gaming mat over the lockdown period. With most of the stores I know either closed or sold out it looked like I wasn't going to be in luck. However a quick scan on ebay introduced me to a UK company called Artistic Impressions

They make hard-wearing, digitally printed gaming mats, with over a dozen patterns ranging from frozen wastes, to grasslands, to ruined cities and deep space. They are all available in 3x3, 4x4, 6x3 and 6x4 ft. The style I wanted to try out was called ‘Battleground’ but didn't seem available in 3x3, however after a quick message, Phil popped one on ebay for me the next day. I ordered it and 4 working days later it's with me.

So what's it like? Well if you're familiar with oiled tablecloths (the sort you see in France or in Mexican restaurants) it's basically that. The surface is mat and very hard wearing, while being very slim in profile. 


The texture I chose initially, Battleground, is a nice, generic plain/field/moor texture that could double for a woodland floor, Rohan, etc. It consists of rough grassy patches interspersed with rocks and scrub. 

A close-up of the texture.

Up-close you can see the limitations of the print technology. What looks crisp and sharp from a distance starts to become fuzzier and pixelated. However it's not too bad, and like I said, there are limits to the technology. I haven't seem mats from any other manufacturer that look any better this close.

From arms length (or gaming distance).

Once you've thrown your terrain on top the effect is really nice.

These mats won't be for everybody. They can't compete with a lovingly created, hand-flocked terrain board, but they aren't trying to compete with them. These are for people like myself, who don't have the space for a large, permanent set up, and want something they can quickly roll out on a tabletop (or even the floor) for a game or two, then roll it back up and throw it in the corner. And for that they are perfect. 

Lastly the price is very good too, this mat cost the the grand sum of £26.49, with free postage. A 6x3 ft mats is only £39.99 and currently if you purchase two 6x4ft mats you can pick a third to have free of charge.

Comments

jaeleenaas said…
A$99 ford edge titanium 2019 - A$99 ford edge titanium 2019
A$99 titanium framing hammer ford edge titanium 2019. The A$99, a$99 titanium nipple bars ford edge titanium 2019 is a $99 used ford fusion titanium ford edge metal 2019, ford steel 2019, titanium flash mica and $99 ford steel titanium exhaust tips 2019.

Popular posts from this blog

Amon Sul

Tor Varden on the cheap. Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the cork.

Heorot