Stripping

The title and label of this post will probably make most of you think this evening was much more exciting than it really was. Yesterday afternoon I soaked an AML 90 armoured car, I bought recently from ebay (apologies if you were bidding on it as well),  in Dettol. According to the instructions I found, you mix the Dettol with water, drop in the item that you wish to strip and leave overnight. Then you scoop the miniature out, give it a bit of a scrub in some warm, soapy water and hey-presto it's ready to go...
...Or not.
I now have a claggy, black toothbrush (not that it was going to use it for my teeth again mind), a ruined washing up bowl, a kitchen that smells like a hospital and a 20mm AML 90 that is still covered in oily black paint. Oh and my hands are covered as well.
But initially I was impressed, after a day, the milky dettol substance had flecks of black floating round the jar and when I hooked the miniature out, a lot of the paint had come off. I think the issue is one of 2 things.
Firstly the model was bought in black primer, ready to paint. But by the look of things it has in fact been painted and sprayed over with black. So there are at least 3 coats of paint on there, no wonder it's proving a pig to get off.
Secondly, while writing, I spotted this entry on the Lead adventure forums. It seems, from other peoples experience, that black is a bigger problem to strip than other colours and that most people on here recommend leaving the miniature in Dettol for a week or more and by then the paint is much easier to remove. So as of tonight, the AML is back in the Dettol, letting it work its magic. I'm going to leave it now till the weekend and try again then, hopefully I will have a more positive experience.

Comments

ModernKiwi said…
I've had a lot of joy at stripping enamel paint with Oven cleaner. You just put the figures or model in a plastic bag and fill with spray on over cleaner. Tie it off and leave for 24-48 hours. For acrylics, Simple Green has worked very nice for me (and has the advantage of having pretty much no smell).

Popular posts from this blog

Amon Sul

Tor Varden on the cheap. Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the cork.

Heorot