Cold War moderns

First off, for anyone that is curious, is a photo the the set up I use to photograph my mini's. The camera I use is a Canon 400d with a 50mm lens and the lamp is a daylight hobby lamp from Hobbycraft.


First up is a repaint of some figures that have appeared on the blog before. I was never one hundred percent happy with the way these Russians looked before and after playing a bit of the somewhat disappointing Battlefield 3 I decided to go for a more modern, grungy/partizan/pea pattern look.
The colour is too light to be realistic but the aim was to create the feel of the camo, not an exact copy and so for that I am happy with it.

20mm ultra modern Russians from Liberation miniatures.

Britannia and Platoon 20 cold war Brits with a Liberation miniatures Ferret AC.

BAOR, Britannia and Platoon 20 Brits with an Airfix centurion.

Platoon 20 NVA fallschirmjäger with a sniper in a gorka.

Platoon 20 NVA fallschirmjäger with a sniper in a gorka.
I wanted some other interesting troops to go with my existing Soviet force. After looking about I settled for what looked like a nice set from Platoon 20 of East German paratroopers. I wasn't disappointed, the East German fallschirmjager are great figures. Initially I painted them up in VDV camo, but I wasn't happy and felt that I was being lazy not doing any proper research into the matter. After many hours scouring the internet I found a semi helpful thread on the military photos forum. On it was two or three colour plates from a long out of print German uniform guide along with some very rare photographs from a fallschirmjager training exercise that took place sometime in the early eighties. From what I could ascertain the fallschirmjager uniform was nearly identical to that of the regular National VolksArmee with the exception of a different combat jacket. It consisted of a raindrop camo BDU with a red berret for parades, which was switched to a helmet or a blue/grey beret while on operations. If anyone has any more information regarding East German fallschirmjager battledress I would be very interested to hear from you.

Comments

Ben B. said…
Nice painting! I tend towards very modern right now, therefore I like your Russians best. Sorry I don't know very much about the Cold War.

Ben
http://benssoldiers.blogspot.com/

Popular posts from this blog

Amon Sul

Tor Varden on the cheap. Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the cork.

Heorot